The Seven Five (2014)


This doc caught a lot of heat. Described by many as a gangster film about NYC cops. The dirtiest cop in NYC history. My imagination went wild, trying to picture what this could be. I was a bit disappointed to realize that it's a familiar rise and fall story of a would-be drug-lord. I've heard of it before. Bad Lieutenant is the best bad cop film ever made. Blow does a great job capturing the cocaine rackets of the 70's/80's. I wanted the Seven Five to show an unexpected side of the same story. Fortunately, there are moments here that are thrilling, such as the kidnapping conspiracy that led Michael Dowd to his prison sentence. One of the downsides of this film is the interviews. Too much reliance on talking heads, not enough archival footage. Could it be a better film? I don't know. If someone wants to take this and turn it into some sort of mini-series, or biopic, I give my blessing to you.

Comments

Popular Posts