Blue Velvet (1986)


You either love it, or hate it. But one thing's for sure, it's not supposed to all make sense. This is David Lynch's finest hour in film directing, and it's lived on as an absolutely outrageous classic. It's a mystery, it's a romance, it's a thriller, it's a horror film, it's a potato. It's anything you want it to be, and more. Those who just never got it just can't seem to get a hold of the fact that this is a David Lynch picture. He's not as much a filmmaker, as he is an artist. He's the Salvador Dali of moving images. They say that sometimes you must suspend disbelief while watching a movie. Well, suspend all belief in a David Lynch movie. I was taken on quite the "thrill ride" with this one. It had me laughing, then wincing, then completely annoyed. The only part of the picture that left me cold was that phony romance between Jeffery and Sandy. It's supposed to be apart of the sick 50's Americana vision of love, as Lynch juxtaposes it with society's dark underbelly, but it just didn't entertain me. I guess that's what so fascinating about Blue Velvet. It grabs you're attention, eye's wide open, and then it slows completely down and gets under your skin. God help me, this stuff is just wonderful to me in the end.

Comments

Popular Posts