Love Actually (2003)


It's the holiday season, and everyone's favorite seasonal movies are being celebrated again, including this one. I know what you're thinking.. what rock have I been under? How could I, a film lover, miss out on Love Actually all of these years? Am I some sort of monster? Does my blood run ice cold through my veins? Nah, some movies just pass me by. Some movies don't peak my interest. This I thought was one of them. But on a lark, I decided why not give it go? It's that time of year after all. It's one of the gooiest rom-coms ever made. It's glistening in sugar coated caramel sauce. One look at this film, and you might catch diabetes. It's an ensemble cast of British starlets, in which multiple stories about finding love take place over the month of December. If you think you've seen this movie before, you have.. there have been about three American versions of these, completely dumbed down for our audiences. That's why it's easy to be jaded around this material, and think of it as schmaltzy yule tide dreck. But it is written very well, and it's heart is in the right place. The love this movie represents seems sincere, and real. That, my friends, is the only way love in the movies truly works... and I'll give the movie a few more things. For one, it's the only movie in Hugh Grant's entire career where gives a good performance. That right there is a major plus. Also, the ending is timeless (God Only Knows is one of my favorite songs).

Comments

Popular Posts