Nocturnal Animals (2016)


*written in 2016

Nocturnal Animals is a visual and emotional experience unlike any I've had at the movies this year. I entered the theater feeling uncertain of it being any good.. since I didn't hear too much buzz about it. I watched it absolutely entranced, from the first to last shot. I left the theater, stumbling, feeling confused and unsettled. I didn't understand what I just watched, but I knew it made me feel something. Great films make you feel something, even when they at first don't make sense. David Lynch would be proud.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams are electrifying. It tells the story of the consequences of lost love, and the power of true love for family, and the lengths one will go to avenge the love you have for them if they are ever taken away from you. The juxtaposition between the two is immensely disturbing. Not to mention the abduction scene involving the three redneck serial killers that just might be the most chilling and intense scene in any movie since the chicken bone scene in Killer Joe. My jaw hit the floor.
There isn't much left to say, except to tell you to search out this film and see it anyway you can.

Comments

Popular Posts