While We're Young (2014)

I am cautiously biased about hipsters. Biased in the sense that many of them are self-absorbed and over-idealistic. But, I must admit, I've had memorable, life-changing experiences with kind-spirited hipsters. The kind like Jamie and Darby. I've known them, I've met them. In high school, in college and in the workplace. Those that welcome you into their lives selflessly and show you what it means to live freely and enjoy all the different eccentricities of life.
While We're Young is a film that is just as complimentary and critical about hipsters. Josh and Cornelia are sent on an enchanting journey. Through street beaches and homemade ice-cream pints, they find what it means to truly loosen up and try new things. That is until they find that they've been set so loose that Jamie is trying to get one over on them. I wouldn't call Jamie a villain and I'm not sure if Noah Baumbach would either. He is a complicated companion as one would be if you were to really let a total stranger into your heart as Josh does. Likely, they will do things that disappoint you. But While We're Young ponders much more about our own quality of life. Baumbach is searching for that rare balance between freedom and rigid order and showing us how it can be found.
Needless to say, as laid back as this film is, it's deep and fascinating in all the right ways. I found myself on the verge of adoring everything about While We're Young.

Comments

Popular Posts