The Sixth Sense (1999)


"I see dead people"

M. Night Shyamalan's first and most successful hour of his cinematic career was The Sixth Sense. A film that accomplishes, if nothing else, pure spookiness. Take any child, and give them supernatural abilities, and you've got a damn good recipe of freaking people out. Haley Joel Osment was an exceptionally great, mature actor for his age, which is what made this role even better. He compliments well with a quiet and calculative Bruce Willis. It's a fascinating story worthy of a Twilight Zone episode. But I don't believe that this is the best film of Shyamalan's catalogue. On more than one occasion during the span of the film, I noticed some of the dreaded trips of Shyamalan films that proved to be problematic later on in his career. I know, some of you out there love this movie, but go back and look closely. They are all still there. The "twist" of this film, suffice to say has been spoiled for me years ago. But even if it wasn't, I would NEVER have not seen it coming from the very beginning. That scene with Donnie Wahlberg as the opener is way too jarring and bizarre for it not to have meant something later on.

Comments

Popular Posts