Synecdoche, New York (2008)

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players"
Charlie Kaufman visualizes Shakespeare's famous quote literally in Synecdoche, New York. A film about a dying stage director who's entire world is captured before his very eyes on stage, and the line between fiction and reality blurs. Some have called it a narrative masterpiece. Considering the complexity and scope of what is captured here, it's certainly an impressive feat. But it's just too overwhelming and confusing. I barely reached the half way point, and I had no idea what was going on. I didn't know who was who anymore.. or what characters were important to the story, or anything. I like abstract films, but I don't enjoy trying to solve one like a Rubix cube. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is EXCELLENT here, no doubt. So is Michelle Williams. But the performances alone aren't enough to keep you from losing patience. This is a rough one. Neither good nor bad. I have to pass.

Comments

Popular Posts